Monday, September 19, 2011

Hangin' with the smarties

I gave my first (and hopefully not my last) university lecture today.

It was part of the course I've been tutoring in for the last few weeks, and because some of the content was about the kinds of things I do in my job, they asked me to do it.

It was pretty cool! I had practised it this morning, and thought I sounded pretty lame, so by the time I got to the lecture theatre, I was pretty nervous. I got there early too: having made lots of arrangements to get there early in case parking was tricky (it's always really hard to find a park when I go there on Wednesday afternoons), I managed an easy park right outside the lecture theatre with 20 minutes to spare. Mind you, if I hadn't allowed the time, I would probably have been late, so that's cool (I'll tell you some time about the frustrations I have with lateness!)

But I needn't have worried. I spoke pretty well - apart from some terrible times with some of the more tongue-twisty of words - and even got a couple of laughs, which I think is pretty good from a room full of 20 somethings with laptops on their laps or phones on their hands!

I haven't listened to the recording yet, because it might pop my bubble (what if I'm kidding myself and I was actually awful??), but I will keep it for posterity.

So much fun! I could really see myself doing that regularly. Hopefully there's a bit more of it in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!