Monday, February 14, 2011

Love

Happy Valentine's Day.

If that's your thing. It's not really mine.

When I was younger, I really wanted a boy to give me something for Valentine's Day. Something that would show me (and the world) that they really loved me.
Of course, the only thing I ever got for Valentine's Day was an anonymous card that I suspect was a joke.

In the early stages of our relationship, I always hoped Anthony would get me something too. But the truth is, he's not much of a romantic. That bugged me for a while (in a minor way), but now that I'm wiser older, I know that those types of symbols are not really the measure of love.

To me, love is:
  • A shared life.
  • Kissing each other goodbye every single day.
  • Holding hands while we walk.
  • Helping each other out. In whatever way we can.
  • Being interested in each other's jobs/hobbies/friends/etc.
  • Comfortable silences.
  • Separate interests.
  • The rude bits (you know what I mean).
  • Shared interests.
  • Having fun together.
  • Having lots of shit times (and baby, we've had our share!), and sticking them out.
And that's the most important thing really. Because love isn't like the movies, it's hard work and sometimes it's downright depressing and you just want to leave. But then you remember the good times, how much you actually mean to each other. How much it's worth it. And you stay, and it is worth it.

How do I know this? 16 years of experience.

Love you lots Anthony, no matter what day it is.

2 comments:

I love comments!