Saturday, September 11, 2010

Feeling the Love

OK, so I'm loved.

It's still a little hard to comprehend, but it appears to be true.

My last day at school was quite lovely. Hectic, but lovely nonetheless. I had many kids give me cards, flowers, chocolates, wine and other pressies...and then of course there were the staff.
I got a lovely send off from the staff, with my (ex) boss offering some very kind and ego-boosting words (that I bring fun into the workplace, that I'm a 'glass half-full' person, that I take on lots of different challenges and manage to do them well).

All in all, it was a nice way to leave the place that I have worked for the last 3 and 3/4 years.

Mind you, I saw many of them again tonight, at a staff dinner that had been planned for a while.
We went out for some drinks and then a lovely Thai dinner, followed by more drinks and dancing at a pub. A great night of good conversation, great food, dancing, and a few more people telling me how 'awesome' I am.

I tell you, if this keeps up, I'm going to have a hugely swelled head! But as I said in the last post, it is nice to know people think so highly of me. It's hard to take, but it's definitely nice to know.

While I'm on the subject of awesome people, there were other events that made yesterday a very emotional day.

In the evening, Samuel's school had a tree planting and memorial dedication. His close friends had been planning it for a while, and they did such a great job.

We got there about 5:30, and the boys and Anthony and Oliver (I was taking photos which are currently trapped on my camera!) planted three lemon trees in pots that were donated by Bunnings. The boys then read out some lovely words they had written, with some great memories of their time with Sam.

After that, we went inside to the corridor adjacent to the courtyard garden where the trees are being kept. They have mounted a plaque there dedicated to Sam, with his photo and the words:

Sam McLauchlan
Memorial Garden
1996-2009
You lived well, laughed often
and loved much.
Forever in our hearts
The class of 2011

It's very lovely (I'll post a picture if I can ever rescue the photos off my camera - or if I take another one).

After that, we stayed for a concert the students were putting on. The first item was a song written and performed by Samuel's close friends Harry, Nick and Dave. These are the lyrics (with permission from Harry - thanks):

Harry:
You and I. We are worlds apart.
Things are different now, and I don't know, where you are.
I got caught up. I was livin' my own life.
Then I heard. That you left me, and when I turn around,
And your gone.
Farewell my friend. I wish you well my friend.
With all your travelling. And just how, you'll get through.

All:
We had some good times. Well that was another time.
The world keeps on spinnin' 'round. Oh and I'll remember you.

David:
Once I heard, that you were gone.
I didn't believe, but i was wrong.
Life right now, won't be the same.
Untill we meet, We'll all be in pain.
Farewell my friend. To the end my friend.
To the end. I will see you again.

Chorus

Harry and David speaking:
We laughed, we cried, we said goodbye.
But someone gave you, a license to fly.
I did not think, you'd be gone so long.
But it's 7 months and I'm still wrong.
Farewell my freind, we will meet again.
Farewell my friend, we will meet again.

Chorus

Riff

Chorus

Fade out riff.

"I changed it a bit to make it sound better. And in the last verse I'm gonna change the months every month."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!