Thursday, September 30, 2010

Potty Mouth

LANGUAGE WARNING - This post might contain some cussin'


I just walked into Anthony's shed where 104.7 (a radio station I can't stand because I believe radio stations should be about music, and there seems to be a lot more ads and talking than music on it...but I'm off topic) was playing a song I've been enjoying on triple j for a while now.
It's called F U, by Cee Lo Green (You can watch it on YouTube if you have an account). You can probably imagine what the 'F' stands for. The chorus goes:

I see you driving ’round town
With the girl I love and I’m like
“Fuck you!”
Ooo ooo oooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn’t enough I’m like
“Fuck you!
and fuck her too.”
(etc).

Anyway, on 104.7, they played a version that had 'Forget You' instead of 'Fuck You'. What's wrong with that you ask? Well it changes the whole song!

My problem is this: the song is intentionally a song with swearing in it. What's the point of changing it? I don't really think that more people are going to buy it after hearing it on that radio station - it's the kind of song that will stand on it's own merit (swearing or not).

Censorship really gives me the shits sometimes. It's not that I think that we should expose everything to everyone, but surely there's got to be a point where adults can be treated like adults, and make their own decisions about what they watch/listen to? Sure, some adults make really bad decisions, especially when it comes to parenting, but swearing is kind of the least of their worries!

Anyway, back to what I was originally going to post about.

I was going to talk about Sam and his potty mouth.

Sam, lovely as he was, swore quite a lot. Now, if I wasn't so honest, I'd say I had no idea where he got it from, but the truth is, he got it from us. Both Anthony and I do tend to swear a bit, and we were worse in our twenties, when Sam was in his formative years. His uncle James (who was 12 years older than him) has a pretty foul mouth too; so I guess there wasn't much hope for him!!

He was pretty good about where he whipped it out though, I must say. He didn't tend to swear in public or in front of the grandparents (except occasionally my dad, who also does a little swearing from time to time too!)

He swore when was frustrated about something. I'd quite often hear him in his room, trying to do something in a video game, or playing the guitar or something; you'd occasionally hear him go 'ffuuuuuccckkk', in a very exasperated voice.

He swore to be funny a lot too. As I've mentioned before, Sam loved his comedy, and as you know, many comedians work blue. They just happened to be among his favourites; so of course when he was repeating a joke (or telling one of his own), it included all the words that "I can say because they're part of the joke".

So if we're remembering our Sam, we must remember the warts-and-all Sam. In this case, the potty mouthed one.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, yes Oliver has inherited some of this dubious potential. We're trying to weed it out of him though.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, it's the difference between a good story and a FUCKEN good story!

    I live in the bible belt of Brisbane, so the f word is the perfect way of separating the genuine 'love thy neighbour' types from the freaky 'judge thy neighbour" types. Saves time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love a good swear word, and I often feel I swear too much. Although I do change the station when that song comes on. There's a difference between a 4 year old, who mimics EVERYTHING listening to that and a older child who has some control. Lucy is a sheep! She said "bastard" the other day, purely mimicking her cousin who swears while playing his video games too... she had no idea that what she had said was offensive, she was just copying.

    but yeah, censorship blows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to hear swearing from a totally unexpected source. It makes me giggle like a schoolgirl! Sue E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more about censorship.

    In the comfort of my own home I have a potty mouth that would rival that of a longshoreman.

    I like to think it enhances my otherwise mundane stories!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!