Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"All the singlets, all the singlets,"

**Now put your hands up**

This was Oliver's take (performed by him quite regularly last year) on the Beyonce song.
(If you've been living under a rock in the Arctic Circle and haven't heard it, the actual lyric is "All the single ladies, all the single ladies".)

He'd also sing, "If you like it then you should go through the rainforest." ("instead of 'if you liked it then you should have put a ring on it")

Very cute. In fact I think I liked the Ollie version more than the Beyonce version!

He's got a new one. You've probably heard the song 'Paparazzi' by that dreadful Lady GaGa creature? Well Ollie was singing along tonight while we were at Goodberry's. I thought his version was much better!

The original lyric is:
"I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me, papa-paparazzi."

Ollie's version was:
"I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me, baa baa, baa baa black sheep."

I do like a good mondegreen. Sometimes the mistaken lyrics are even better than the real ones.
I've had a few in my life - for a while I thought Pearl Jam sang "glorified version of a pelican" (pellet gun). I can't think of any others at the moment, but I'm sure they'll come to me!

Perhaps you've heard some good ones?
Have you (or anyone you know) sung the wrong words, loud and proud? And did you (or they) sing it right when you knew the right ones?

2 comments:

  1. There is one at the moment... the ad on TV for the AFL. The actual lyric (had to look it up) is

    "i wont look what's underneath"

    to me, it sounds like something a bit more lowbrow and about something that a woman might say to a man in the heat of passion. I cant even bring myself to type it!!!

    There are heaps... lucy does it too, its pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a singlette! I'm a singlette! Now out your hands up.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!